Guide to Taking Care of Your Oil Diffusers
Diffusing essential oils is one of the easiest yet most effective ways for you to experience the aromatic benefits of your favorite essential oil. Over time, your diffuser will develop an oil buildup that potentially can prevent it from working properly, so it is important to understand how to use and take care of it. Here are a few tips that will help you have the best aromatic experience and extend the life of your doTERRA diffuser.
Filling Your Diffuser
- Use clean, room-temperature tap water. Make sure the water level does not exceed the watermark.
- Add 5–12 drops of doTERRA essential oils. You can add more oil for a stronger scent. Experiment with the amount of oil you use and find what works best for you.
doTERRA Cloud™ and Aroma Ace Diffusers
- Clean the nozzle before switching oils.
- Rinse the nozzle with tap water, or for deep cleaning, submerse the quick-change top in rubbing alcohol for 30–60 minutes.
- Wipe clean with a dry cloth.
PETAL, AROMA, LITE, AND LOTUS DIFFUSERS
Quick-Clean after Each Use
- Make sure to unplug your diffuser prior to cleaning.
- When removing excess water from the water tank, pour from the rear of the diffuser to avoid spilling on the operating buttons.
- Clean the inside of the water tank and the outside of the diffuser with a small amount of neutral detergent cotton cloth or a small foam brush. Avoid using any harsh cleaners on your diffuser.
- Rinse and dry.
- Use a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to wipe the ultrasonic mist chip found inside the water tank.
Deep Clean Every Month
Cleaning is a necessary step to ensure that oil residue doesn’t build up in your machine preventing it from working properly. Periodically, it is a good idea to run your diffuser through a cleaning cycle. If you use your unit every day, then running a cleaning cycle monthly is a good idea. To do so, do the following:
- Fill your diffuser half way with clean water.
- Add 10 drops of white vinegar.
- Let the diffuser run for about 5 minutes to allow the water-vinegar mixture to disperse throughout the unit and clean it.
- Drain the diffuser completely.
- Using a cotton swab dipped in vinegar, clean the tight spots and corners of the diffuser.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the diffuser and dry it thoroughly.
Best Places to Use Diffusers
- Office desk
- Hotel rooms
- Spa room
Avoid placing your diffuser in direct sunlight or near a fan.
Diffuser Blends to Try:
2 drops Cedarwood
2 drops Juniper Berry
3 drops White Fir
2 drops Arborvitae
3 drops Vetiver
3 drops Lavender
3 drops Sandalwood
3 drops Roman Chamomile